New England Colonial Living History Group 1680-1760. Armidale,NSW AUSTRALIA.

This is an Australian 18th century living history group studying the lifestyle of peoples in the New World. ALL nationalities welcome . ALL articles and other posts on this forum are copyright to the author, and not to be used or published anywhere else
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Welcome
Welcome to eighteenthcenturylivinghistory

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!
PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE FOR REGISTRATION.
Thank you.

Post subject: Maquette of 18th cenury home
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:00 am 
Pilgrim (M)
Pilgrim (M)

Have thanks: 10 time
Hi guys,

well, i haven't been active on this forum for a looooong time, but there is a good reason why. I just didn't had time to dedicate myself to it. Even now i don't, because I work full time + 2 schools, but let's forget excuses. What it matters is that I got an idea on how to, at least temporarily, merge my love for 18th century and one college that I'm attending. I have a task that requires of me to make a maquette, a scale model of something, and it can be whatewer I want it to be. A ship, a building, from 18th century BC or AD or present day, and it can be my imagination or a real life thing. So I remembered this group and decided that I will make a maquette that will represent something from 18th century :)

Now, I did gave a tought to it and did some research, and since it will be my first bigger project I won't go as far as making a ship, since it will require a lot of time and I do have a deadline. Instead, I would like to make an 18th century house. Either a house in the woods or a farm house. I would also include a few buildings around the house itself. A pigpen, hen house, fence, tree stump with firewood or anything that would be apropriate and that could be found in that year span. A few or more trees either way. I see this house a simple one (because making a big one with a lot of details would require a lot of time :) ). In any case, I will need to know the area around the house, as terrain must not be a plain board. I will be making only exterior of the house so interior plan is not needed. And lastly, pictures would be great as they would help me in making a plan.

I will do some more research on this weekend, and I'm planing to have at least a draft by friday next week, so if you guys have any knowledge and ideas to share please do. I will gladly consider them.

walk with the master,
see through the master,
become the master.
damjan has been thanked by:

Post subject: Re: Maquette of 18th cenury home
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:41 pm 
Pilgrim (M)
Pilgrim (M)

So this is what I came up with this morning

On this sketch I planed those walls to be out of stone, but when I come to think of it, it would be much easier to model a house that is made of wood. In the end, I will chose the one that would best represend 18th century house. Maybe a stone foundation and wooden planks for a wall?
I am also thinking of puting a well on the scene. I'm just not quite sure how did they look like. The one that I draw is how wells look like in balkans. The old ones.
When it comes to pigsty I haven't really found much on the interenet on that. On the other hand, I believe that they haven't changed much in past few centuries. Maybe a fenced area around the pigsty itself?
I also imagine a small paved road to the main door.
Next to it, I would also put a tree as a decoration.
And behind the house I will either put a bunch of trees and some branches and rocks on the ground or a small garden.
I was also thinking about a low stone wall from top to bottom, which would fence the area in front of the house from wilderness. If my model was to be bigger, this wall would go all around the land.

And if a family member would be a woodsman, what would he/she have in garden? A taning rack perhaps? Maybe a small shed?

In any case, this will be an interesting research on homesteading in 18th century, and how did a homestead looked like. And please, do note that I will be using 21st century equipement and materials for making of this model. I am going to get a grade for this project.

Attachments:
File comment: first sketch of 18th century farmhouse
rsz_SCN_0012.jpg
rsz_SCN_0012.jpg [ 4.18 MiB | Viewed 2575 times ]

walk with the master,
see through the master,
become the master.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:33 pm 
Weaver
Weaver

Have thanks: 166 time
From "Histoire Populaire du Quebec" by Jacques Lacoursiere:-

This is the list of what was observed to be growing under cultivation
choux = cabbage; laitues = lettuces; pourpier = purslane; oseille = sorrell; persil = parsley; citrouilles = pumpkin (this word refers to the halloween sort of pumpkin) coucombres = cucumbers; pois = peas; feves = beans (strictly speaking, broad beans); melons and other veggies. Not sure I would be growing melons at the Canadian latitude.....
Mention was made of ble = corn as in wheat as opposed to ble de l'inde which is maize.

A well is a good idea. Here in Australia early 'houses' had stone chimneys especially if made of wood and were even a feature of the tent style early dwellings during the gold rush. Stone was field stone as opposed to dressed stone.
If North American colonists were lucky enough to have a barn - that was where a loom would be set up for the itinerant weaver to set up to weave coverlets from the hand spun materials produced by the household.
Good luck and fingers crossed for a good grade.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:21 am 
Pilgrim (M)
Pilgrim (M)

Hi guys,

well, I've looked deep through the internet and also tried to make it simple because the main thing was to use plywood, wires, paper, stiropor and basically anything that a man can get his hands on that is suitable for model making and use it. Since I didn't really had time to focus myself on to details like making a garden, adding additional structures around the main house and so on, I chose to make my model as simple as possible but to also look detailed. No plain walls and things like that.
Anyway, this is what I came up last week. I have sent the pictures and got the best grade. It could have been more in the spirit of 17/18 century, thats for sure, but I'll leave it aside for now and maybe one day I'll put some more time on it. Just for fun. Main thing is, I passed the test :D

Attachments:
File comment: foto collage. views from all sides.
Fotor_Collage.jpg
Fotor_Collage.jpg [ 4.72 MiB | Viewed 2276 times ]

walk with the master,
see through the master,
become the master.
damjan has been thanked by:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:21 pm 
Weaver
Weaver

Have thanks: 166 time
Congratulations. :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:37 am 
Captain of Scouts
Captain of Scouts

Have thanks: 454 time
I have no idea why this post did not come to my email !!! Better late than never I guess but still disappointing. Great work damjan! Well done.
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Captain, Armidale NSW Australia chapter.