New England Colonial Living History Group 1680-1760. Armidale,NSW AUSTRALIA.

This is an Australian 18th century living history group studying the lifestyle of peoples in the New World. ALL nationalities welcome . ALL articles and other posts on this forum are copyright to the author, and not to be used or published anywhere else
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 8:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Welcome
Welcome to eighteenthcenturylivinghistory

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!
PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE FOR REGISTRATION.
Thank you.

Post subject: Stealth gardening.
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:30 pm 
Journeyman Woodsrunner
Journeyman Woodsrunner

Have thanks: 71 time
I was thinking about Ya Yoopers post about Wild Jerusalem Artichoke and growing food in a manner which I will call stealth gardening. I have heard that the native american indians did a form of this for their corn after experiencing many raids by other indians or white soldiers.

Not everyone has the backyard available or suitable to grow food. Yet I dare say close by to the majority of us is a bit of bush, a reserve etc, which may be suitable to plant some trees, plants on a stealthy basis. Close to us is a creek that divides a reserve. Some of it is looked after by land care, the rest is kinda left to go its own way.

I think one could get away with planting some pumpkins and choko vines along the creek bed. A few nut trees planted here and there..(except they are expensive to buy).
what are your thoughts, and ideas about the idea of it,...and what you might be able to plant.
TheBunyip has been thanked by:

Post subject: Re: Stealth gardening.
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:22 am 
Woodsrunner
Woodsrunner

Have thanks: 94 time
I know that stealth gardening has been used the Huaorani tribe in South America. Also, a trained individual can plant the local/native plants where other people will walk right by oblivious to the food at their feet. (Think Jamestown Colonists and the tomato plant.)

Here in Texas I would be able to plant squash in a buffalo gourd patch and it would not be seen. Native fruits trees like persimmon already go unnoticed by the general public, which is sad, because it is delicious! The list could keep going, but you got the idea.

Stealth gardening has some real advantages when things start becoming a little crazy whether in the 18th century or in this one.
swampfox has been thanked by:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:55 am 
Captain of Scouts
Captain of Scouts

Have thanks: 456 time
The problem we have here in Australia is protecting these plants from possums, roos, wallabies & walleroos. These animals will eat pretty much anything you can think of that is edible, including Jerusalem Artichokes which they dig up. If you are planning a camp in the bush where you can grow veggies, you will need to construct a high secure bush pole fence.
Keith.

Robert Frost.
Captain, Armidale NSW Australia chapter.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/
http://australiansurvivalandpreppers.blogspot.com.au/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHEOMSZJETfj3GnoyONuvCQ?view_as=public

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:14 pm 
Journeyman Woodsrunner
Journeyman Woodsrunner

Have thanks: 71 time
Woodsrunner, great examples thanks.

Le Loup Yes, wildlife is a problem. I am thinking that some nut trees would be good plants for future as well as some native fruit trees.
TheBunyip has been thanked by: