New England Colonial Living History Group 1680-1760. Armidale,NSW AUSTRALIA.

This is an Australian 18th century living history group studying the lifestyle of peoples in the New World. ALL nationalities welcome . ALL articles and other posts on this forum are copyright to the author, and not to be used or published anywhere else
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Welcome
Welcome to eighteenthcenturylivinghistory

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!
PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE FOR REGISTRATION.
Thank you.

Post subject: My persona, Moravian Lenape
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:22 pm 
Woodsrunner
Woodsrunner

Have thanks: 91 time
After long study, I do believe I have settled on my persona. Moravian Lenape is not a persona portaryed often, I suppose most people find their story too melancholy, but I do believe that under the surface is a story that is worth telling... so this is what I have so far. Feel free to provide input and criticism where ever necessary.

Who am I? Moravian Lenape

What’s my name? David Swampfox

How old am I? 17 What is my birthday? July 23, 1754

Where was I born? Shamokin (Sunbury, PA)

Where do I live now? Gnadenhutten, OH

When did I arrive here? October, 1772

What kind of house do I live in? A Log cabin

How did I get here? Migrated from Friedensstadt, PA

Do I go to school? Used too. How did I learn? At the Moravian mission school

Can I read? yes Can I write? yes Can I cipher? (math) No

What other skills do I have? Hunting, fishing, flint knapping, hide tanning, fingerweaving, general wood'slore

What do I do on a normal day? Tend the crops in the summer, hunt in the fall and winter.

What do I do for fun? Fiddle (It is recorded that the Iroquois at Onondaga played fiddles, flutes, and drums. I have NO evidence of Lenape fiddlers… YET.)

What religion am I? Christian

What clothing do I wear? coonskin cap, trade shirt, breechcloat, leggings and moccasins, but sometimes I wear breeches and a waistcoat .

Additionally, my gun is a rifle, David Zeisberger and John Heckewelder both reference rifles as the primary arm of their converts

My source materials.

David Zeisberger's history of northern American Indians https://archive.org/details/zeisbergerh ... 00zeisrich

Diary of David Zeisberger : a Moravian missionary among the Indians of Ohio https://archive.org/details/diaryofdavid01zeisrich

History, manners, and customs of the Indian nations who once inhabited Pennsylvania and the neighboring states https://archive.org/details/histmannerscust00heckrich
swampfox has been thanked by:

Post subject: Re: My persona, Moravian Lenape
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:24 pm 
Captain of Scouts
Captain of Scouts

Have thanks: 454 time
swampfox wrote:
After long study, I do believe I have settled on my persona. Moravian Lenape is not a persona portaryed often, I suppose most people find their story too melancholy, but I do believe that under the surface is a story that is worth telling... so this is what I have so far. Feel free to provide input and criticism where ever necessary.

Who am I? Moravian Lenape

What’s my name? David Swampfox

How old am I? 17 What is my birthday? July 23, 1754

Where was I born? Shamokin (Sunbury, PA)

Where do I live now? Gnadenhutten, OH

When did I arrive here? October, 1772

What kind of house do I live in? A Log cabin

How did I get here? Migrated from Friedensstadt, PA

Do I go to school? Used too. How did I learn? At the Moravian mission school

Can I read? yes Can I write? yes Can I cipher? (math) No

What other skills do I have? Hunting, fishing, flint knapping, hide tanning, fingerweaving, general wood'slore

What do I do on a normal day? Tend the crops in the summer, hunt in the fall and winter.

What do I do for fun? Fiddle (It is recorded that the Iroquois at Onondaga played fiddles, flutes, and drums. I have NO evidence of Lenape fiddlers… YET.)

What religion am I? Christian

What clothing do I wear? coonskin cap, trade shirt, breechcloat, leggings and moccasins, but sometimes I wear breeches and a waistcoat .

Additionally, my gun is a rifle, David Zeisberger and John Heckewelder both reference rifles as the primary arm of their converts

My source materials.

David Zeisberger's history of northern American Indians https://archive.org/details/zeisbergerh ... 00zeisrich

Diary of David Zeisberger : a Moravian missionary among the Indians of Ohio https://archive.org/details/diaryofdavid01zeisrich

History, manners, and customs of the Indian nations who once inhabited Pennsylvania and the neighboring states https://archive.org/details/histmannerscust00heckrich

Brilliant! Well done!
Keith.

Robert Frost.

Captain, Armidale NSW Australia chapter.
Le_Loup has been thanked by:

Post subject: Re: My persona, Moravian Lenape
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:38 am 
Woodsrunner
Woodsrunner

Have thanks: 91 time
Thanks Keith, I keep learning every chance I get. Right now I'm reading David Zeisberger: A Life Among the Indians by Earl P. Olstead. It's a good read; I just today found mention of the Moravian Lenape playing the spinnet during worship services, just gotta find a fiddle somewhere...

Here is a picture to go along with a quote I found describing the Moravian Lenape.

They are always clothed; they are never painted; they wear no feathers, but hats and caps; they let their hair grow naturally; they carry their guns on their shoulders, with the shaft upwards; when meeting a white man, they call him, salute him, and in coming near carry their gun on the shoulder in the reversed position. When they go hunting they will have a pass from either Horsfield, Johann Jacob Schimck, the superintendent of at Nain, or Bernard Grube, his counterpart at Wechquetank

De Schweinitz, Zeisberger, 279.

swampfox has been thanked by: