New England Colonial Living History Group 1680-1760. Armidale,NSW AUSTRALIA.

This is an Australian 18th century living history group studying the lifestyle of peoples in the New World. ALL nationalities welcome . ALL articles and other posts on this forum are copyright to the author, and not to be used or published anywhere else
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Welcome
Welcome to eighteenthcenturylivinghistory

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!
PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE FOR REGISTRATION.
Thank you.

Post subject: Hello from East Tennessee.
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:38 pm 
Journeyman Woodsrunner
Journeyman Woodsrunner

Have thanks: 24 time
Hello, I am glad to be part of this group. It is an honor and a privilege. I looked around the net and this is the group stands out as the best. Thank you for opening the door for me and allowing me the chance to learn and share.
I am living in one of the most incredible places on earth, in my opinion. The Southern Appalachians. This land is ancient. The French Broad river, which flows nearby, is the 3rd oldest river in the world. Many legendary figures have come from here, Crockett, Huston, Boone, The Cherokee, The Over Mountain men and many more. This history is my heritage and I feel it in my bones and blood. I came to reenactment by a circuitous path which I will try to describe as briefly as I can.
My father was from Letcher county Kentucky. Raised in 1930's in the small coal mining town of Buckcreek near Colson. He joined the US Marines and served proudly for 28 years. I learned from him about hard work, integrity, and backwoods living.
In the 70's we were stationed in the UK and I lived in Ruslip Manor, near Harrow, and went to school in High Wycombe.
It was that time, from 1974 to 1977, that I was bitten by the History bug. I went to all the Museums and visited as many historical sites as I could. Learned about the people and culture first hand. I hiked in the Lake district, The Welsh borders and camp along the Cornish coast. I soaked it in. I was in my teens and this time period left a lasting impression on me.
After my time in service, 10 years as a Combat medic with an infantry company, I was looking for something. I wasn't sure what it was but soon came across The Living History Center. They were the originators of the Renaissance Pleasure Faire. They tried to educate by recreating an Elizabethan market fair as close as they could. We also did a DIckensian Christmas show and Old California days. You had take 1 month of workshops, have an approved period costume and belong to guild. I play several musical instrument and was a something of musical prodigy so I created a minstrel character named William Berry Poore, "Willy Poore". A Poor but honest minstrel lately come from the north country with ne'er a penny of money. I guess my reenactor was born then.
For 10 years I learned and played. I learned juggling, fire eating, Celtic harp and more than I could recount. I eventually became a Punch and Judy Professor. I performed Punch and Judy around the US for a long time, I learned traditional music, Morris dancing, English country dance, Studied the Child ballads, Percy's relics and well everything I could get into. I made my living and my way, for better or worse, as a wandering minstrel, tricking people in to learning with a laugh.
Well when you're green you grow and when you 're ripe you rot, so I soon looked for more room to grow and began studying the Circus Arts and Clowning. I went to San Francisco Circus Center's Clown Conservatory and learned a tremendous amount of silliness and foolish behavior.
My father became ill and I gave up the circus/minstrel life to return to his side. He had moved to East Tennessee, near Cosby the moonshine capital of the world. Once here I began to learn of my heritage and ancestors from him. My roots here go back to John Amburgy, who fought at the battle of Kings Mountain and others. I have had an ancestor or relative in every war from the Revolutionary to the present.
When Dad passed I stayed in East TN. I have been trekking, hunting, camping and trying to master as many historic skills as I can, making as much of my clothing and equipment as I can.
I owe Mr. Burgess a great debt for all his videos, research and links he has so generously shared with the world through the net. It has been a remarkable experience. I only wish I could shakes his hand in thanks.
I have recently been hired by the State of Tennessee to be a Historical Interpreter at David Crockett birth place state park. It is an honor that I hope to rise to meet.
I have made most of my outfit. I have been studying his life in depth and trying to prepare to tell his story as best I can. Soon I will deep in the history of East TN, reenactment and being among others who share this passion.
I will be sharing my experiences with and learning from this excellent group of scholars. I will trying to create the best impression of a frontiersmen from the southern Appalachians in the mid 1700's as I can.
I apologize for the length of this introduction and look forward to having you all with me in this journey into the past. Image
glennallen has been thanked by:

Post subject: Re: Hello from East Tennessee.
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:23 am 
Woodsrunner
Woodsrunner

Have thanks: 96 time
Welcome from Texas. It is awesome that you actually get to mix hobby with work. Have they given you a specific persona to present, ie. longhunter, farmer, tradesman? Also, you wouldn't happen to play the fiddle/violin by any chance would you? I've been learning over the last six months; still have to work on bowing pattern but the notes sound clear... most of the time any way. Welcome once again.
swampfox has been thanked by:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:52 am 
Journeyman Woodsrunner
Journeyman Woodsrunner

Have thanks: 24 time
Howdy neighbor! Yes sir it is a lucky break indeed. At the park I'll be telling the tale Davy Crockett mostly but they are constructing a period farmstead and often have reenactments there. We kick it off the weekend of Apr 19th, which the date of the battle lexington and concord with a blackpowder shoot and will be hosting the over mountainmen from up johnson city way. I'm going to have a great time for sure.
I haven't chosen av specific persona yet. Still doing research but I am leaning towards an actual ancestor. John Amburgey was an ancestor and I am related to him through his daughter Rose Amburgey. He was born in Rumsfield Parish, Culpeper County, Va. 1758. John Amburgey Jr served as a private in the North Carolina Continental Line and fought in Revolutionary War at the Battle of Kings Mountain. He was honored July 31, 1982 when Troublesome Creek Chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution and Amburgey Family Association dedicated a gravestone marker in Carr Fork Cemetary to his memory. He was born on a farm once owned by his german immigrant father Conrad Amberger.
He entered the service of the United States under Colonel Benjamin Cleveland and Captain Larkin Cleveland. He was in the battle of King's Mountain [October 7, 1780] when Ferguson was taken. He was a resident of Wilkes County State of North Carolina when he entered service and he received his discharge. He was present when Col. Cleveland hung nine Tories at one time on Little Pedee River. He saw Jackson Goss hung on old Captain John Cox's gate on this side of the Blue Ridge. He was quite the fellow and patriot but filling the details to make him come alive is going to tremendously interesting. There several interesting ancestors I am looking at one being Mason Pigmon. The facts are hazy but the story goes that General Washington and French General Rochambeau had visited the Pigmon home in North Carolina in 1781 just before the decisive Battle of Yorktown. Apparently General Rochambeau knew our family and my ggg grandfather named their cousin Rochambeau. That's just my dads side, moms folk came from Italy much later.
I play the harp primarily.I'm a lefty and the bowing gives me fits. The mandolin has the same fingerings as the fiddle and was around so I going for that as my main instrument. I've been working on the banjo for awhile but 5 string and scruggs style wasn't around. Fretless gut strung banjo was what is "period". I have an old banjo that I'm thinking of making something from it that might work. Like the fiddle and banjo both are instruments of true love because if you're learning to play it and your wife or dog doesn't leave you their love is true.
When Crockett lost his election because of his stand against the Indian removal act he said. "You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. " Both Crockett and Huston were from here so Texas stands in good stead with Tennessee. Be of good cheer.
glennallen has been thanked by:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:37 am 
Woodsrunner
Woodsrunner

Have thanks: 96 time
That is quite a heritage for sure. I think your ancestors would be deeply honored knowing a descendant sought to commemorate them in such a way.

"both are instruments of true love because if you're learning to play it and your wife or dog doesn't leave you their love is true."
That is the absolute truth!!! Not sure how everybody put up with me the first month.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:27 pm 
Captain of Scouts
Captain of Scouts

Have thanks: 458 time
Welcome again glennallen, & many thanks for your kind words. Good to have you with us.
Regards, Keith.

Robert Frost.
Captain, Armidale NSW Australia chapter.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/
http://australiansurvivalandpreppers.blogspot.com.au/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHEOMSZJETfj3GnoyONuvCQ?view_as=public