New England Colonial Living History Group 1680-1760. Armidale,NSW AUSTRALIA.

This is an Australian 18th century living history group studying the lifestyle of peoples in the New World. ALL nationalities welcome . ALL articles and other posts on this forum are copyright to the author, and not to be used or published anywhere else
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Welcome
Welcome to eighteenthcenturylivinghistory

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!
PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE FOR REGISTRATION.
Thank you.

Post subject: Black Bear and other critters
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:38 pm 
Indentured
Indentured

Have thanks: 1 time
Hello.
This is my second post on this sight but first post in Trekking.
I am still new to New Hampshire. I was born in Cadiz, Spain and have lived in Spain, Germany, 5 years on Okinawa and nearly 40 years in Texas.
I am so happy to be in NH!!
I have backpacked many years ago but that was always on trails and most of the time with others. I never had to deal with bear or Mt Lions but I did hear stories.
What I am wondering about is how do you deal with bear, mt lions and fisher cats?
What if I am sleeping and one of those things comes up on me?

Post subject: Re: Black Bear and other critters
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:03 pm 
Captain of Scouts
Captain of Scouts

Have thanks: 458 time
Well we don't have any problems with those animals here in Australia, but my advice would be to purchase a gun/rifle large enough to handle large game, & get at least one pistol in the same caliber. Pistols are more maneuverable in confined areas. Other precautions would be to make your camp in as safer area as you can. Construct a small compound around your shelter, anything that will give you prior warning that something is close by. Keep a fire going when safe to do so. If you have a dog, take it with you IF it is trained to command. You do NOT want a dog that will just antagonise a wild animal, but give you warning & distract if needed.
To be honest Seamus, I would sooner have your bears & cats than our snakes & spiders.
Keith.

Robert Frost.
Captain, Armidale NSW Australia chapter.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/
http://australiansurvivalandpreppers.blogspot.com.au/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHEOMSZJETfj3GnoyONuvCQ?view_as=public

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:02 pm 
Journeyman Woodsrunner
Journeyman Woodsrunner

Have thanks: 24 time
Don't smell like food. I run into them here in the Cherokee Forest all the time. Mostly they are just big bumbling goofs who run away if you go boo. Just keep a clean camp and make some noise as you travel sand you'll be good. I sing sea shanties and such, which seems to work keeping bears away and people too. Every year I get at least one bear as road kill. I have one hide left that I use as a sleeping pad. It works great as a insulating layer on a browse bag full of leaves. Just keep you're food hung up and don't cook in camp. I carry a .44 Remington pistol as a back up just in case. Never really plan on using it but you never know. It is the eastern coyote that is the real problem. half wolf half coyote and three times as smart.
glennallen has been thanked by:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:32 pm 
Captain of Scouts
Captain of Scouts

Have thanks: 458 time
glennallen wrote:
Don't smell like food. I run into them here in the Cherokee Forest all the time. Mostly they are just big bumbling goofs who run away if you go boo. Just keep a clean camp and make some noise as you travel sand you'll be good. I sing sea shanties and such, which seems to work keeping bears away and people too. Every year I get at least one bear as road kill. I have one hide left that I use as a sleeping pad. It works great as a insulating layer on a browse bag full of leaves. Just keep you're food hung up and don't cook in camp. I carry a .44 Remington pistol as a back up just in case. Never really plan on using it but you never know. It is the eastern coyote that is the real problem. half wolf half coyote and three times as smart.

Excellent post, thank you.
Keith.

Robert Frost.
Captain, Armidale NSW Australia chapter.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/
http://australiansurvivalandpreppers.blogspot.com.au/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHEOMSZJETfj3GnoyONuvCQ?view_as=public